Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Ziggy's Trail Angel Casa

The largest bowl of ice cream, two hot dogs, salad and one orange later, I am stuffed to the brim with wonderful food. About two hours ago I finally made it down the endless switchbacks descending Mt. San Jacinto to be pleasantly surprised by a cold Dr. Pepper underneath highway 10. It was a crazy sensation sitting under a bridge of a highway that runs from California to Florida relaxing with six other thru hikers sipping on cold beverages. A mile up the trail Ziggy, a trail angel, opened her house as a hostel for thru hikers. Not only are we allowed to sleep in her back yard, but she has been feeding us, offering warm foot baths and other endless accomodations. I feel so blessed to have stumbled into her life on the trail. Her home is about 2/10 of a mile from the trail in which she made homemade signs pointing us in the direction of her house. It has been endless hospitality, love and care since Honey Bear and I arrived.

Honey Bear and I reached mile 210 today! The sun was hot on our backs and water was scarce, but as we rounded then bend on one of the long switchbacks, a small pile of rocks (with one word, unless...not!) saying 200 was displayed on the ground. I yelled out in shock and Honey Bear thought something was wrong. We had a dance party and lived it up in celebration!

Tonight I am going to sleep out under the stars on a small square of carpet underneath the beautiful desert sky. With Big Bear on my mind, I am looking forward to seeing all those wonderful friends I left behind to start this journey!

So much love,
Adriana

1 comment: